- · William Blake is an English poet who lived between 1757 and 1827.
- · It was observed that William Blake never had formal classroom education.
- · He was a mystical poet, not conventional though the language of his poem “The School” isn’t archaic.
- · His poem, “The Schoolboy” shows his dislike for classroom learning.
- · “The Schoolboy” by William Blake is a nature poem; adoring summer morn, birds, trees, etc.
- · Notable among his works is ‘Songs of Innocence’ (1789)
- · “The Schoolboy” by William Blake is a rhymed verse which took the pattern of ababb.
- · Narrated via a first person point of view with the multiple use of “I” in the poem.
- · Notable setting in the poem is “summer morn” according to line 1 of the poem.
- · The tone of the poem is sad and admonishing.
- · Structurally, the poem is divided into six stanzas of five-line per stanza.
- · - “The School Boy” is a 30-line poem
- · The message of the poem is delivered through the voice or preferably the mind-set of a little schoolboy
- · The boy felt cheated through the imposition of formal education
- · Blake posted this poem in his anthology tittled ‘Songs of Innocence’
- The poem goes thus:
I love to rise in a summer morn,
When the birds sing on every tree;
The distant huntsman winds his horn,
And the sky-lark sings with me.
O! what sweet company.
But to go to school in a summer morn,
O! it drives all joy away;
Under a cruel eye outworn.
The little ones spend the day,
In sighing and dismay.
Ah! then at times I drooping sit,
And spend many an anxious hour,
Nor in my book can I take delight,
Nor sit in learnings bower,
Worn thro' with the dreary shower.
How can the bird that is born for joy,
Sit in a cage and sing.
How can a child when fears annoy.
But droop his tender wing.
And forget his youthful spring.
O! father & mother. if buds are nip'd,
And blossoms blown away,
And if the tender plants are strip'd
Of their joy in the springing day,
By sorrow and care's dismay.
How shall the summer arise in joy.
Or the summer fruits appear.
Or how shall we gather what griefs destroy
Or bless the mellowing year.
When the blasts of winter appear.
Friday, 21 April 2017
15 Facts About The Schoolboy By William Blake
History And Philosophy Question Test 5 Enquiry into science as a philosophical phenomenon is _____ A. Deductive science B. Philosop...